After upgrading to Windows 8.1 on my MacBook Pro I lost the Apple keyboard layout. This isn’t a massive problem usually because most of the keys are where they would be on a normal keyboard, but when developing, the hash (#) key is particularly useful and is only available on a Mac by pressing Alt + 3, but only if you have the Apple keyboard layout!
Thankfully, this is one of the easy ones to solve.
- Go to Change PC Settings on your charms bar.
- Go to Time and Language
- Go to Region and Language
- Click on your current language, mine is English (United Kingdom). The box will expand to show an options button. Click the options button to bring up the Language Options menu.
- Add a Keyboard and find the Apple keyboard for your language.
- Either remove the old language or just leave it and you’ll end up with a drop down menu on the Keyboard section of the charms bar.